CITIZENS’ ADVISORY COMMISSION ON ELECTIONS
COUNTY OF SANTA CLARA
NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING
Isaac Newton Senter Auditorium
County Government Center, 70 West Hedding Street
San Jose, California 95110
Monday, January 13, 2017, 6:00 p.m.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN pursuant to Government Code Section 54956, that the Citizens’ Advisory Commission on Elections will hold a Special Meeting on Monday, January 13, 2017 at 6:00 p.m., in Isaac Newton Senter Auditorium, County Government Center, 70 West Hedding Street, San Jose, California.
The purpose of the meeting is to consider the following items:
· Approve minutes of the January 3, 2017 Regular Meeting.
· Discuss and approve Commission Work Plan for Fiscal Year July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018 (FY 2018) and Accomplishments for FY 2017, to be submitted to the Clerk of the Board by April 1, 2017, and subsequently forwarded to the Board of Supervisors through the Finance and Government Operations Committee.
· Receive report relating to status of CACE recommendations to the Board of Supervisors regarding investigating procedural irregularities from the June 7, 2016 and November 8, 2016 elections, and to direct Administration to advocate for an amendment to state law to authorize post-certification automatic recounts.
· Discuss the causes of discrepancies that occurred between the number of total votes cast in recounts and original counts, strategies for reducing or eliminating those discrepancies, and approve recommendations, if any.
· Receive update from Registrar of Voters (ROV) relating to upcoming elections:
o March 7, 2017 special election.
o April 25, 2017 special election.
o May 2, 2017 special election.
· Receive update relating to information to be included on various election night and other results reports, and approve recommendations, if any.
· Discuss issues relating to street index addresses for voters living in multi-building group quarters such as university campuses, and approve recommendations, if any.
· Receive report related to possible double voting, and approve recommendations, if any.
· Receive report from ROV relating to electronic polling books and approve recommendations, if any.
· Receive report from ROV relating to Statement of Work for procurement process of new voting equipment and approve recommendations, if any.
· Receive verbal committee reports:
o Customer Service and Complaints Committee (Dunkerley)
o Voter Outreach Committee (Le)
o Technology Trends Committee (Kadlecek)
· Receive ROV reports:
o Discuss items relating to the ROV from the Finance and Government Operations Committee meetings on January 12, 2017, January 26, 2017, and February 9, 2017.
o Receive report from the ROV relating to campaign finance disclosure filings and approve recommendations, if any.
o Receive report from ROV relating to implementation of election bills enacted in the 2014-2016 Legislative Session and elections bills expected to be introduced in the 2016-2018 Legislative Session.
o Receive information relating to ROV staff attendance at elections officials' conferences.
o Other ROV items of interest to the Commission.
· Discuss previously proposed future agenda items.
· Propose future agenda items.
· Announcements and correspondence.
Members of the public may address the Commission concerning any item described above before or during consideration of that item (Government Code Section 54954.3(a)).
Given by order of the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors on the 8th day of February, 2017.
COUNTY OF SANTA CLARA
STATE OF CALIFORNIA, a
political subdivision of the
STATE OF CALIFORNIA,
Stephanie Simunic, Deputy Clerk
Citizens’ Advisory Commission on Elections